[PC-BSD Testing] New Alpha ISO 05242008 Mountroot problem

Peter Brewster peter.brewster at comcast.net
Thu Jun 5 02:29:44 PDT 2008

Hi Kris, or whoever,

This could be a BTX 1.01 versus BTX 1.02 matter.  Well out of my league.

My intent was to install Alpha 05242008 on a test bed.

Repeatable solid failure using the Alpha 05242008 ISO image loading from cd.  The test bed mobo is a recent Intel with an Intel dual CPU and 2GB.  System has been running both installed PC-BSD 1.5.1 (from system ATA hard disk) and installed Xubuntu 8.04 (from USB flash drive) without any problems.

I have confirmed the same Alpha 05242008 cd loads correctly on another older PC - an HP Presario with Intel Celeron.  Did not continue to install (not a test bed) but could have.  I also confirmed the ISO image used against a fresh ftp copy.

On the failing system I can see "BTX version 1.02" and then some screens of text fly by.  What I can visually catch looks ordinary enough.  Nothing unexpected seen but I'm not sure exactly what to look for.  A few lines just before the problem:

ad0:  20GB maxtor at ata0-master UDMA-100
acd0:  CDROM <LTN323/DQ15> at ata0-slave PIO4
 . . .  usual SCSI illegal request stuff . .
cd0 at ata0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
cd0:  <LITEON . . . . >
cd0:  16.0 MB/s transfer
cd0:  cd present [355743 x 2048 byte records]

Manual root filesystem spec
   . . . . .
   . . . . .
Mountroot> {solid cursor block displays}

Using a "?" entry displays 12 devices from ad0s1f to fd0.  The only file system to use that I know is ufs.

Using "ufs:cd0" entry grinds on the cd for a second or so, displays "Trying to mount root from ufs:cd0" and returns to the Mountroot> prompt.  All the suggested devices have a similar response.  None succeed.

I specifically confirmed just now that my FreeBSD 6.3 cd (as downloaded on 2-26-08) loads and installs correctly on the test bed.  (As of course it did a couple of months ago.)   As it loads the display indicates the BTX version is 1.01.

Peter Brewster