[PC-BSD Testing] Sound Cards

Airy airy at netspace.net.au
Fri Jul 25 17:49:54 PDT 2008

brian wrote:
>  It may just be my system ( I have a 550 watt PSU , three HDs and a
> nvidia 7300 crammed into one box ) , but lately I have to run my box
> with the side  off to prevent it from locking up . I think it's the GPU
> overheating , but have no way to tell for sure . It's something I
> haven't noticed before .

Possibly the CPU cooler or heating problems (case fan??) - try a Smart
monitoring program to check if the harddrives have been overheating
inside the case (a good indicator) -sometimes the case manufacturers
leave air flow last on their list (after aesthetics).
I have also found the PSU to be the major cause of most failures in PC's
(I am an Electronics Tech) and electronics in general. There is a great
forum Badcaps.net which show how in the past motherboard manufacturers
botched up badly and google psu bad caps to see what I mean about power
supplies.Most PSU manufacturers publish 550W but under test give 350W...
I use a Seasonic S12 II+ because it uses Japanese caps and as a company
they have been around for 25 years. There are numerous articles on this
eg http://hardforum.com/printthread.php?t=756864, I have found computers
can actually speed up and be more responsive with a decent PSU.

Hope this helps although I know it is off topic.

Kris - are you looking at setting up the automatic update feature of
PC-BSD after KDE 4.1 is released - other than minor updates which is
already happening ; (my bandwidth is limited because of cost in this
part of the world (Australia)), so we don't have to download 1.5Gb
regularly (apart from major updates of course).???

John