[PC-BSD Testing] Alpha 07252008
kris at pcbsd.com
Fri Jul 25 05:43:40 PDT 2008
Another week, another Alpha to try out!
Here's some of the highlights for this weeks version:
ZFS File System Support!!
- Hit option "8" during bootup to enable ZFS, and then select it as
your file system during the GUI install.
Warning, you will need at least 1GB of ram for ZFS, and it is still
considered experimental. Worked fine on my system though :)
USB Install Image!!
- I have put together our first official USB installer for PC-BSD 7,
with help from yerenkow, thanks BTW!
You can simply use "dd" to write this image to your USB media: "dd
if=<file> of=/dev/da0 bs=1m" or something like that. It should show up
as a USB bootable hard drive, depending on your
BIOS. Refer to your motherboard docs for more information.
* Fixes for loading the cups interface
* Fixes to loading the "hplip" toolbox.
* Restored PC-BSD original artwork.
* Added OpenOffice, FireFox, Opera, and Wine, latest versions.
* Fixed PBI installer, so that you can put kmenu icons on your
"favorites" list now, and the icon shows up properly
* Added quite a few new sound card definitions, if your card isn't
recognized with this new one, let me know.
* Added if_age to kernel for nic support
* Shrunk the default taskbar size
* PBI Thumbnailer now works in Dolphin / Konq
* Fixed some bugs overwriting gjournal partitions
As usual, you may download these alpha ISOs from our FTP server:
MD5 (PCBSD7-x86-07252008-CD1.iso) = 2f4666e464cc8c541ee056a5d08eea75
MD5 (PCBSD7-x86-07252008-CD2.iso) = 5d9f48972e5fab0b8db62270515cef69
MD5 (PCBSD7-x86-07252008-CD3.iso) = ee663206649dae2f61ac7d57d7b765e7
MD5 (PCBSD7-x86-07252008-DVD.iso) = 9ee1f96445a5f4d44a9b17f6b0d9986f
MD5 (PCBSD7-x86-07252008-USB.img) = 4c57ebeb185641fbccf1bb4728c7d680
KDE 4.1 is scheduled to be released next Tuesday the 29th, and from what
I hear most of the annoying KDE glitches have been fixed, including the
xine backend. (This may make the digital playback of audio cds work
now). I'll try to have that in next weeks alpha if possible.
More information about the Testing