[PC-BSD Testing] 7.0 Alpha 4 = Good stability but port & printing problems

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 14:56:41 PDT 2008

1.  I am reaffirming my satisfaction that the Alpha 4 release is very
stable.  Under Alpha 3 my Centrino-based laptop would sometimes
spontaneously freeze or reboot after 30 minutes.  I have had the Alpha
4 release on for about 72 hours without any freeze, reboot, or other
glitch.  It has gone into the sleep mode and instantly woken up
numerous times.  I have closed the lid for hours and the machine
instantly came on.

2.  PBI installations for K3b, Gwenview, OpenOfficeOrg have failed.  I
have not had any luck with the port installations for them either.  I
could not update the ports with the System Administrator -- just hangs
after starting the fetch ports operation.  I was able to update with
the comand line.  I attempted to install K3B and Gwenview.  Both
installs failed with this message:

checking for kde-config... not found
configure: error: The important program kde-config was not found!
Please check whether you installed KDE correctly.

For Open Office, the port installation stopped on the message that
follows, and quickly repeated itself to the same end:

===>  Giving up on fetching files:
openoffice.org3/OOo_BEB300_m3_source.tar.bz2
openoffice.org3/OOo_BEB300_m3_source.tar.bz2
Make sure the Makefile and distinfo file
(/usr/ports/editors/openoffice.org-3/distinfo)
are up to date.  If you are absolutely sure you want to override this
check, type "make NO_CHECKSUM=yes [other args]".
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/editors/openoffice.org-3.
*** Error code 1

3.  Bill Leeper said:  I am unable to get my network printer working
in this alpha. I do not recall if I tried it in the previous alpha,
but I do know it was working in the KDE3.5 alpha. I can't even find
the place to set it up under KDE so I used localhost:631 which does
allow me to add it to the printer list. When I try to print, however
it tells me the printer is busy and it will retry later. It never does
print.

Me either.

KDE menus do have a CUPS entry at Start -> Applications ->System ->
Manage Printing, but it does not load.

KDE also has an HP Device Manager at Start -> Applications ->Utilities
-> HP Device Manager, but it does not load.

Bill got further than I did because my URL to http://localhost:631
resulted in these messages:
The requested operation could not be completed
Connection to Server Refused

Details of the Request: