[PC-BSD Testing] KDE 4 not working

A.Y. yerenkow at uct.ua
Thu Jul 17 06:58:10 PDT 2008

Kris Moore пишет:
> wa5qjh wrote:
>
>> Hi All:
>>  My machine is based on an MSI board with Promise Technology bios with
>> 1Gb Ram and 57GB of a 160 GB HD divided into 3 OS's one of which is
>> FreeBSD 6.3 with KDE 3.5.4 running in another partition.
>>  Installed 07112008 several times yesterday and today. The installation
>> looks REALLY nice,BTW and went very smoothly except that KDE would not
>> run. Also first time  I tried, I think it was open office failed to install.
>>  After the install(s), reboot, and screen resolution selection came KDE
>> starting up, then the login and that's where it broke down. As soon as
>> the password was entered, it tried to enter KDE  showing some kind of
>> splash screen and even played a little noise which quit abruptly. The
>> screen went blank and the KDE Startup screen shoing it starting
>> different parts and then the login again. Tried several if not all the
>> options in the login:
>> default: failed
>> Custom: not tried
>> fluxbox: failed
>> KDE:Failed
>> /TWM:  WORKED/
>> KDE failsafe: failed     not very failsafe, huh? :)
>> /failsafe: worked/
>>  The indication is that X-Windows is working but for some reason kde
>> just wont.
>>  I switched back and forth between my 6.3 installation partition and my
>> test partition but KDE never came up.
>> I tried installing with none of the extras like Firefox etc. and as few
>> of the options selected as possible in one instance. no luck
>>  I dont know what other information you might need. below is  the top of
>> the dmesg from the 6.3 installation in hopes it might be helpful:
>>
>> Copyright (c) 1992-2008 The FreeBSD Project.
>> Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
>>         The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
>> FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.
>> FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE #0: Wed Jan 16 04:18:52 UTC 2008
>>     root at dessler.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
>> Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
>> CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz (3400.14-MHz 686-class CPU)
>>   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf43  Stepping = 3
>>
>> Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
>>   Features2=0x649d<SSE3,RSVD2,MON,DS_CPL,EST,CNXT-ID,CX16,xTPR>
>>   AMD Features=0x20100000<NX,LM>
>>   Logical CPUs per core: 2
>> real memory  = 1073479680 (1023 MB)
>> avail memory = 1037275136 (989 MB)
>> ACPI APIC Table: <A M I  OEMAPIC >
>> ioapic0 <Version 2.0> irqs 0-23 on motherboard
>> bktr_mem: memory holder loaded
>> kbd1 at kbdmux0
>> ath_hal: 0.9.20.3 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, RF5111, RF5112, RF2413, RF5413)
>> hptrr: HPT RocketRAID controller driver v1.1 (Jan 16 2008 04:16:19)
>> acpi0: <A M I OEMRSDT> on motherboard
> [...]

I once suggested this on forum;
http://forums.pcbsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11267

shortly, we gain info from all peoples who uses PCBSD and ports;
and then:

while(someone have interest)
{
select port from all_manually_installed_ports order by usages_count desc
limit 1;
make pbi;
publish;
}

it's like bsdstats, and this could be off by default.

Comments?