[PC-BSD Testing] 7.0 Alpha 2 with ATI Video card

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 15:07:17 PDT 2008

I'm testing the installation of PCBSD Alpha 2 release with an ATI
3D-Rage XL video card.

The monitor was a standard 15" SVGA.

1.  The installation went well except that the right one-third of the
screen and the lower one-fourth of the installation screen were not
visible.  That means that you cannot see the "Next" button on the
installation screen.  The workaround is to hold down the <ALT>  key
and click the mouse on the screen to drag it over.  Otherwise, the
installation was fast and flawless.  Kris, I liked the additional
choices of Desktop vs. Server.  I didn't try the Server yet, but I'm
looking forward to trying that.

2.  After the installation, the Xorg installer correctly detected the
ATI video card.  I selected a standard 1024 x 768 setting, and the
install completed normally.  This is the "normal," not-3D, version of
the ati driver.

3.  Very vanilla excerpts from /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Generic Monitor"
    ModelName      "Generic"

 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertRefresh values to use DDC:
	HorizSync    30.0 - 54.0
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertRefresh values to use DDC:
	VertRefresh  50.0 - 120.0

EndSection

Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "SWcursor"           	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "HWcursor"     	"True"  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoAccel"            	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "ShadowFB"           	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "UseFBDev"           	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "Rotate"             	# [<str>]
        #Option     "VideoKey"           	# <i>
        #Option     "FlatPanel"          	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "FPDither"           	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "CrtcNumber"         	# <i>
        #Option     "FPScale"            	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "FPTweak"            	# <i>
    Identifier     "Card0"
    Driver         "ati"
    VendorName     "ATI Video Driver"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Card0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth   24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth      24
        Modes      "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

4.  The screen is outstanding.  I switched to the plain PCBSD blue
wallpaper as the busy background does not work for me.  Colors are
pleasing.  I liked the easy-to-read theme much better than Kris'
Scarlet & Grey choice for Alpha One.  Fonts are sharp, clear,
easy-to-read.

5.  The KDE menu occasionally produces a vertical purple line, one
pixel wide, in the second and third panels (i.e., in the application
menu, System is a choice on the first panel, and Add/Remove Software
is a choice in the second panel).  The vertical purple line is limited
to the panel and does not extend outside of it to other parts of the
screen.

6.  Operations with KDE 4.1 are fast.

7.  KDE recently published a defense of KDE 4.0 on Groklaw on Friday,
July 11 2008.  It is a worthwhile read.

8.   KDE 4.1 has jumped from beta to RC1 with the KDE Community's
released of its KDE 4.1 Release Candidate today.

Thank you Kris, Tim, and others on the PCBSD development team.

Ian Robinson,
Salem, Ohio