[PC-BSD Testing] Subjective thoughts so far...

Airy airy at netspace.net.au
Mon Jul 14 01:56:58 PDT 2008

Hi all

My main machine is based on a ASUS P5E-VM HDMI board 2 GB ram with
internal Intel G35 graphics.(nice little beast)

Unfortunately the latest Alpha is a show stopper - because I don't have
a parallel port on board the boot gets as far as :

ppc0:parallel port not found
sio1:configured irq3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio1:port may not be enabled

and crashes with only a hard reset bringing life back to the machine.

With PCBSD 1.51 it does the same but gives up after three goes and
continues to boot.

Now I could delve into recompiling the Kernel without parallel support
but as many new boards are now coming out without legacy support
(serial, parallel and even IDE - especially laptops) I thought maybe
this could be checked out when the installer runs - or maybe a FreeBSD 7
bug??

I would love to see the latest Intel driver incorporated (but G35 still
seems to be too new...)

Now the good news, on my Gigabyte GA-7VM400M machine with an ATI 8500LE
graphics board I get the full desktop with 1920X1600 on my new 24" LCD -
yah,  using the ATI driver [ 3D support doesn't appear to work though
:-(  ].It does give errors though (see attached file - hope it helps).

I must admit that although KDE 4+ has come leaps and bounds from when I
first used it , I consider it to still be "preview technology" .With
nearly 16000 bugs logged on the whole system I don't think that I would
use it for a main machine - maybe when 4.2/4.3 comes along. Any chance
of releasing a PCBSD 2.0 with KDE 3.5.9 ,FreeBSD 7.0 and latest updates?
I also believe in incremental updates and like the way BSD works on
proven technology rather than the Linux kitchen sink philosophy.
I do like playing with the new KDE though and great work guys on making
it work so well so far.My two cents for today

John