[PC-BSD Testing] Audio

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Sun Jul 13 06:54:32 PDT 2008

Bill Leeper wrote:
> OK, I picked up a cheap sound card, but can't get it working. I have
> been unable to find a way to disable the onboard sound chip. And to
> make matters worse  there is a blank spot where the CD audio cable
> should plug into the MB. But I did find out that I can play MP3 files
> in Audacity so it is beginning to look like it might be not having a
> cable. Juk does not work right. If I try to play a file it does not
> even start the playback and CD Player works for everything except for
> no audio. What is so frustrating is that it worked just fine previously.

Bill,

Open KSCD, go to Extra -> Configure KsCD. Under CD-ROM Device, you need
to check "use direct digital playback". That was enabled by default in
the old kaffeine / KDE3 stuff, which made it work without the small
audio cable. I'm not sure if it works in KDE4 though, haven't played
with it personally :)

http://www.pcbsd.com