[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD7 Alpha 2 with KDE 4.1 Beta 2

Andreas Betschart vato12003 at yahoo.de
Sun Jul 6 05:29:43 PDT 2008

Hi,

Here are my results from testing this alpha version:

The good
========
The PC-BSD installer finally recognized the size of my screen (1280x1024). I
don't have to <alt>+drag with the mouse, in order to get to the "next" button
anymore.

The installer let's you know if something went wrong.

The not so good
=============
Num Lock is not set automatically.

There is no sound. This is strange, since I have never had sound issues on the
PC I used for testing. Not even with the first alpha.

The obvious
==========
Some translations in the installer are still missing.

The bad
=======
The new KDE menu. Sorry, but it is a mess. To quote Brian: "horribly
unintuitive". I know that at the moment there is no better alternative ready.
Well, except the old menu, I guess. Please think about this hard and long,
before making it the default menu for PC-BSD.

KDE is still too slow. Too slow for any real use.

All in all this alpha is quite good. The problems are mostly on the side of
KDE, and KDE is still in beta. So there is hope.