[PC-BSD Testing] New PCBSD7 Alpha with KDE 4.1

Bill Leeper protagonist at charter.net
Fri Jul 4 13:43:52 PDT 2008

After giving it another go this morning I have to say I agree with a
lot of what Brian is saying. I was going to report a lot of what he
wrote but won't have to now. I will go ahead and switch to the old
menu so I can test a bit more because as it stands now about all I can
do is surf the internet with it. I don't think the new menu is
unintuitive so much as it is different. I get the same feeling using
it that I get when I have to use a PC with Vista on it. Also, I have
noticed that it is a bit slower when opening programs and windows. It
seems to pause for several seconds when moving scroll bars. I suspect
this will change as KDE 4 gets more work.

On the positive side, the installer is excellent as usual. The desktop
looks very nice and I can figure most things out with a little playing
around. It is obvious that you people have put a lot of work into it,
but it has a long way to go before I can really use it, instead of
Edison. Hopefully there will be another Alpha soon that makes this
possible. And I agree on the DVD instead of CD issue. I am glad you
are going to do that.