[PC-BSD Testing] New PCBSD7 Alpha with KDE 4.1

Tim McCormick tim at pcbsd.org
Fri Jul 4 11:21:55 PDT 2008

> - multiple CDs , why not one DVD ?

This is planned before PCBSD 7 Final

> - the new kick off menu , at least for me , is horribly unintuitive - I
> seen no way to change it

You can remove the new menu from the panel, and then add the 'Application
Launcher Menu' if you want the old style menu back. Personally I rather like
the new one :)

> - I couldn't find a shortcut to update ports or system source

Start -> System Settings -> System Manager (at the bottom). Albeit, it isn't
working yet.

> - konsole gave me a black box - literally  , no prompt , nothing

Known problem with KDE4 on FreeBSD. Use xterm instead until we get it fixed.

> - The icons ( or widgets I guess ) were in some kind of semi
> transparent  boxes that , to me anyways , clutter up the desktop .

That's the KDE4 desktop philosophy. The desktop isn't somewhere for just
icons, it's somewhere for plasma widgets. One of the widgets is a so
called 'folder view' so you can use it in the old way. I believe there's also
a way to set the desktop containment to a folder view so it behaves in the
old fashioned way, but you'd have to google to find how, I've not looked into
it.

--
Tim McCormick
PC-BSD Lead Developer