[PC-BSD Testing] New PCBSD7 Alpha with KDE 4.1
peispud at eastlink.ca
Fri Jul 4 10:22:03 PDT 2008
This is sixth time I've tested a KDE4 OS and found it unusable . Here
is my experience :
- the installer , video setup , and artwork are excellent - as usual
- extras were offered but unavailable for install
- multiple CDs , why not one DVD ?
- boot fails and hangs with "sio1:port may not be enabled " , unplugging
my bluetooth dongle and hitting reset fixes the problem
- the new kick off menu , at least for me , is horribly unintuitive - I
seen no way to change it
- I couldn't find a shortcut to update ports or system source
- konsole gave me a black box - literally , no prompt , nothing
- The icons ( or widgets I guess ) were in some kind of semi
transparent boxes that , to me anyways , clutter up the desktop .
- I had an error trying to get a little deeper into system settings ,
but by that time was ready to reboot .
- Unless KDE4 makes some radical usability improvements , I am done with
KDE centered distros . I am switching all my Linux desktops over to
Gnome . I'm sure that die hard KDE fans will disagree , but the proof is
in the putting . There is no way that the vast majority of PC users are
going to use KDE4 . I notice a Gnome PBI . If it gets ported to PC-BSD 7
I'll give PC-BSD 7 a try .
More information about the Testing