[PC-BSD Testing] ad0s2 vs ad{4|8}s2

A. Yerenkow yerenkow at uct.ua
Tue Dec 30 01:05:32 PST 2008

Gary B. Corell wrote:
> Testing List:
>  1. Is there anybody that can tell me why FreeBSD from 6.3 thru 7.1RC1
> would describe my harddisk partition  as ad4s2 or ad8s2 while PCBSD
> 1.5.n or 7.n will describe it as ad0s2. This also applies to my other
> two bsd partitions on the same hard disk.
I had this too. I could explain as I see this :) ad4, ad8 - that's
correct names according to sata ports on motherboard. ad0 ad1 - it's the
same, but under pcbsd, it's ordered and numered 0,1,2...
>   2. Or for that matter how I might convince the FreeBSD installer to
> assign it to ad0... instead of one of the other two ( 4 or 8).
Only by size of partitions, or my hard's vendors (open dmesg and check)
>   3. On of those other two partitions, specifically what PCBSD would
> describe as ad0s4, is a 10 Gb partition that I would like to put the
> new 7.1RC2 onto but I recently "lost"  the use a partition containing
> FreeBSD6.3 on partition /ad0s3/ by installing a PCBSD7Alpha  onto
> ad0s4 which I have been using as a test partition since PCBSD 7Alpha
> around July.  I have a good deal of time and effort invested in both
> my ad0s2 (PCBSD 7.0.2) and ad0s3 (PCBSD 1.5.1). sure would hate to
> trash one of them.
Is FS there ok? I mean, if you have work OS now, could you mount other
partition, and check is all there ok?
>  4. Specifically what happened was that the Freebsd boot loader just
> seems ot forget that ad0s3 was bootable and I could not find a way to
> make it bootable again without just installing a new OS onto it. That
> was  the reason for moving from FreeBSD 6.3 on that partition to PCBSD
> 1.5.1
Maybe (just maybe) if FS is OK, you could fix this by bsdlabel -B (man
bsdlabel)
At least, if you have FS intact, make sure you backup this all :)

Good luck!