[PC-BSD Testing] ya lost in Documentation Forest

Brodey Dover pcfxer at rogers.com
Fri Dec 19 02:49:53 PST 2008

Walt Pawley wrote:
> I need to learn a little PHP. So, I installed Apache 2.2 on my
> PC-BSD and php5 1.5.1 box via pkg_add. Apache served HTML and
> CLI php worked, but embedded php commands didn't do anything
> and *.php files simply browsed as plain text. After mucking
> about in some docs, I pkg_delete'd php5 and built php5 from
> ports. This method seemed to generate files the docs talked
> about that had been missing. This was nice, but didn't get
> anything working. I've reading and experimenting with
> configuration directives, etc. I notice that apachectl simply
> hands the parameter to httpd, so I tried stop followed by start
> as well as restart (didn't make any discernable difference).
>
> This should be really simple but I'm apparently not up to it.
> Anyone willing to provide step-by-step's?
>
> FWIW: I have one other issue that doesn't seem to be responding
> to what I think the docs are telling me - language negotiation.
> Instead of providing the Acceptable file, it provides the
> type-map to the browser. I can live without fixing that but I
> suspect it might be a related issue.

Make sure httpd.conf has this:

LoadModule php5_module libexec/apache22/libphp5.so
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php3 .php .html
Include etc/apache22/Includes/*.conf

Annnd directory index has index.html and index.php.

I have been attempting Joomla and so far I've got the right versions of
MySQL, PHP, etc. going.