[PC-BSD Testing] ya lost in Documentation Forest

Walt Pawley walt at wump.org
Wed Dec 17 01:32:45 PST 2008

I need to learn a little PHP. So, I installed Apache 2.2 on my
PC-BSD and php5 1.5.1 box via pkg_add. Apache served HTML and
CLI php worked, but embedded php commands didn't do anything
and *.php files simply browsed as plain text. After mucking
about in some docs, I pkg_delete'd php5 and built php5 from
ports. This method seemed to generate files the docs talked
about that had been missing. This was nice, but didn't get
anything working. I've reading and experimenting with
configuration directives, etc. I notice that apachectl simply
hands the parameter to httpd, so I tried stop followed by start
as well as restart (didn't make any discernable difference).

This should be really simple but I'm apparently not up to it.
Anyone willing to provide step-by-step's?

FWIW: I have one other issue that doesn't seem to be responding
to what I think the docs are telling me - language negotiation.
Instead of providing the Acceptable file, it provides the
type-map to the browser. I can live without fixing that but I
suspect it might be a related issue.
--

Walter M. Pawley <walt at wump.org>
Wump Research & Company