[PC-BSD Testing] UnionFS

A.Yerenkow yerenkow at uct.ua
Tue Dec 16 10:13:17 PST 2008

I had idea to have separate partition for installed base OS, and main
partition unionFSed with base similar to EEE layout.

Problem is:
1. that I couldn't mount a disk as unionfs, only dir.
2. I have only / partition, and I couldn't make a union mount for /.
For example, I mounted second disk to /var/newroot, and tryed to
mount unionfs /var/newroot to /
and as I expected this isn't allowed.
So I mounted /var/newroot  to /usr as union :)
After that I wen to make some tests, file-copy, crash. reboot, etc.
And while that my usb-flash have missed integrity in root filesystem.

I'm not sure is it normal or not, maybe this is just my flash.
But I have to admit, until unionfs not takes a block device, only a dir,
make easy system restore would be not so easy.