[PC-BSD Testing] First Impressions of PC-BSD-7

Oliver Rath rath at mglug.de
Sun Aug 31 05:40:04 PDT 2008

Hi everybody,

this is my first installation of PC-BSD. I have some experience in
FreeBSD some years ago, so it wasn't to difficult. Normally I work with
gentoo linux.

Some failures I found:

- password for first user has to be at least 8 characters, elso the
dialog hangs. But this isn't remarked anywhere
- 3D-accelleration doesnt work (ati-3D enabled), DRI is disabled, dont
know why
- WPA encryption doesnt work without loading additional modules (intel
345 wpi driver)
- taking bash as default shell hasnt been adopted from the dialog
- pointing to the PC-BSD-installation by grub fails for standard entry
(zfs problem?),
  taking rootnoverify+chainloader works

Generally PC-BSD works fine after a few corrections, its a good start
for beta!

Hth,

Oliver