[PC-BSD Testing] Some nice PC-BSD addons

DragonFlier dracheflieger at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 07:01:45 PDT 2008

I haven't participated much in the forums or this list over the last year or
so due to personal things going on in my life (I hope to get back to both
currently as I miss them) but I can answer some of these questions as has
Kris over the years and the first one just a few days ago...

1) It's FreeBSD under the hood...you've got the opportunity to install both
the ports and source when you install PCBSD and update them afterwards.
>From the ports you can install whatever window manager available to FreeBSD
you wish (but don't expect the inner working of PCBSD to work with it as it
was decided long ago to base PCBSD on KDE) or you can install a PBI if your
desktop choice has one available. Better yet, if it doesn't, you can develop
one. Gnome is available as a PBI.

2) see 1 above...

3) There are literally hundreds if not thousands of hacks that come and go
(are available to the user and then become deprecated due to advances in the
current build of FreeBSD) and are dependent on the hardware you use. Doing
something like this has the probability to create a vast nightmare of
unworkable systems and hard feelings against what aims to be a bullet proof
OS. I've been in tech support many years and know just how bad people can
bungle their computers if you give them a way to do it.

4) I haven't visited the forums much lately but bring it up there...I
believe you can still start a poll. Things like this would come up all the
time. See what the community thinks.

5) Don't install the FreeBSD boot loader. There's a check box on the initial
GUI install page. I don't use Linux but when I did I used GAG and it worked
fine. I use the FreeBSD boot loader to load either XP or one of several
PCBSD versions I have. OpenSolaris is closer to BSD than Linux...ask anyone
using ZFS ;-)

6) not possible...FreeBSD only uses primary slices.

Good luck!