[PC-BSD Testing] Long standing redundancy in ports

DragonFlier dracheflieger at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 22:11:38 PDT 2008

I don't know if this is feasible. Currently if we install the ports from CD
it just copies over the ports tree/directory to the slice. If at any later
time one wishes to update the ports tree you must either do it through the
system manager or else do it on the command line. Either way, you have to
fetch the current snapshot and then extract it, creating the various

 If possible wouldn't it be better to install the latest ports snapshot to
the slice, then run a portsnap extract against that so that it would create
the ports tree and INDEXes initially on the install? I'm sure it would take
a bit longer for the install but would save time later on.

Just a thought.