[PC-BSD Testing] Possible PCBSD7 bug

Ken Ebling ken at idealinter.net
Thu Aug 28 20:48:23 PDT 2008

Hi guys,

Here's an issue I noticed:

When the system reboots after installing, I get the login prompt (I un-
checked the auto login feature), and the username/password I created
during setup don't work.

I did Ctrl-Alt-F1 to the console, and typed "root" at the login
prompt, and it dumped me right into a shell, without asking for the
root password I created during setup.

"finger user" shows that my user account wasn't created.  I set root's
password manually, and used adduser to add my personal account, and
then Alt-F9 back to the login screen and it lets me login now.

Did the installer skip root password setting and user creation because
I un-checked that box?

I've seen this happen with the Alpha and Beta1 releases, but I never
said anything about the alpha because I knew the beta was about to
release.. =)

Thanks,

Ken