Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 12:46:38 PDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 3:00 PM,  Bill Leeper said:

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 06:51:39 -0700
> From: Bill Leeper <protagonist at charter.net>
> Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] I agree
> To: PC-BSD Testing list <testing at lists.pcbsd.org>
>
> I have to say that my initial impressions of KDE4 were not all that
> good. But, after using it these past few weeks in the Alphas I must
> admit that I have grown to like it and I do not intend to go back to
> KDE3.5 now. I would suggest taking the time to learn how it works and
> then a lot of the choices they made start to make sense. Sure it has
> problems, but so did 3.5 with all its maturity. If you wait for the
> perfect desktop before you switch you will have a very long wait.   :-)

Well said Bill.

KDE 4.x (aka "Plasma") is not without its naysayers, but revolutionary
ideas are often subject to criticism and a passionate demand to return
to the familiar and comfortable even if old and outdated ways of doing
things.  So it was with the automobile, the airplane, and now the
desktop interface.

Will we choose to keep our feet anchored in past desktop technology,
or will  we progress to new and more versatile methods that will allow
the unveiling of even further development in desktop programming,
usage, development, and integration?

The vision statement for Plasma addresses these issues at
http://plasma.kde.org/cms/1029

You can read more at http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/TheWaysOfThePlasma.

There are a bunch of links to Plasma information, user interface
research, user interface standards, etc.  at
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma

I'm with Kris and Bill.  I find KDE 4.x better than KDE 3.5.x.  KDE
4.x moves the desktop interface into a new paradigm and represents an
evolution in desktop environments.  Of course it is different from
what we are used to using.  Of course some of the old themes and
programming is going to break.  Before jumping to conclusions, it is
worthwhile to spend more time looking into it.  Before jumping to
conclusions, it is worthwhile to spend time trying it out.  Let's give
KDE 4.x a chance.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio