[PC-BSD Testing] ethernet detection

Iain Bucław iainbuclaw at gmx.co.uk
Tue Aug 26 04:43:48 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 13:14 +0200, Karl Fischer wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 12:52, Iain Bucław <iainbuclaw at gmx.co.uk>
> wrote:
>         Hi there, just about got through week 1 with my first time
>         using FreeBSD
>         crash course.
>
>         Everything works great, considering. Just one small problem
>         though.
>         My Ethernet port doesn't seem to be being detected at bootup
>         on my
>         Desktop Machine, and it doesn't mention any existence of it
>         with
>         ifconfig or ifconfig up.
>         This seems a little odd because detection is fine on my HP
>         Laptop, which
>         is one of the newest pieces of equipment I have; and my
>         Desktop uses
>         conservatively compatible hardware (at least, for Linux).
>
>         Desktop uses an AmiTrends Motherboard with onboard Ethernet.
>
>         Any thoughts?
>
>         Regards
>         Iain
>
> Hi Iain,
>
> I can suggest you do a 'pciconf -lv' this will list you pci hardware,
> It might be listed there.
>

> Can you perhaps give a model number of the motherboard,
> so that I can do a google to see what chipset the onboard Ethernet
> is ?
>

> Karl
> Karl Fischer
> |_|0|_| "Absence of evidence
> |_|_|0| is not evidence of absence"
> |0|0|0| Carl Sagan
> - http://fischer.org.za -

Hi, thanks for the prompt replies.

Milan,
00:04.0 Ethernet Controller: Silicon Intergrated Systems [SiS] 190
Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.

Karl,
Yes, it appears to be there.

none0 at pci0:0:4:0
chip=0x01901039
vender	= (SiS)
class	= network
subclass= ethernet

I am mostly curious at the "none0", but I won't say anything, as it is
mostly french to me ;)

The motherboard is an ECS GS7610.

Also, could a fix be something as simple as just allocating a static
IRQ/IO resource for the device?

Regards
Iain