[PC-BSD Testing] Is ACPI v3 support available or planned for PCBSD7?

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Aug 25 09:11:47 PDT 2008

Edward Hirsel wrote:
>   I have a question that I believe is related to acpi:
> I have a Dell Inspiron 1526 laptop.   It has 2 AMD Turion 64 TL-60
> processors; powernow is enabled in the BIOS.   Is acpi v3 support going to be available in PCBSD7?
>   The reason I ask  is that I can load openbsd 4.3 i386 on it;
> even though it only the UP version loads, when I set the processor in the
> lowest powernow run state (the apm driver refers to it as cool perf mode),
> the battery can last approx 3 hrs.  The amd64 version of openbsd 4.3 with
> the  MP version loads and behaves the same way.
>
>   However pcbsd7 (and freebsd v7, as well as pcbsd1.5/freebsd 6.3) only
> reports a max battery life of about one and a half hours.  Is this an acpi
> issue, or is it something else, such as a powernow issue?
>
> Regards,
>

> Edward A. Hirsel

Edward,

Thats a very good question, unfortunately I really don't have an answer
for you though.

What it ultimately boils down to is that I think the support in FreeBSD
7 itself is lacking in this case, which in turn effects us on PC-BSD 7.
However, they may simply not be aware of the issue. You'll probably be
best off reporting this to them here:

If the can get it fixed in 7-Stable before PC-BSD 7 is released, then
we'll have the support as well. You may want to report it soon though,
hopefully its just a simple fix, and they can get it put into the system
quickly. If the support is in OpenBSD already, I'm sure they can port it
pretty fast.

http://www.pcbsd.com