[PC-BSD Testing] (no subject)

Rod Clark sc at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu Aug 21 09:54:20 PDT 2008

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008, Max ID wrote:
> Dolphin works incredibly slow. When I browse "Windows/System32"
> directory, I have to wait for 5-10 seconds for window to become
> responsive. Imagine what happens when I browse /usr/local/bin
> directory :).

Max,

Dolphin looks visually lightweight, but for fast file management
look elsewhere.

XFE (/usr/ports/x11-fm/xfe) is extremely fast when reading large
directories. It reads /usr/local/bin in under one second on my
Athlon XP 2200+ (with v1.5.1). XFE also offers a more extensive
feature set than either Konqueror or Dolphin. With a little
configuration to set nice fonts and such, it's still not as
visually cute but is much quicker and more functional. I usually
use the tree-and-one-pane view.

The only drawback that I've noticed is that it doesn't ever send
files to the Trash Can, even though there's a (non-working)
option to turn that on.

Rod Clark