[PC-BSD Testing] ZFS Install comment.

Edward O'Callaghan victoredwardocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 08:08:16 PDT 2008

Hi,

The best kind of tuning is no kind of tuning at all! Unless you know
what your doing.
ZFS should be able to automatically determine the correct amount of
RAM on its own.
http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Evil_Tuning_Guide

Consider looking at:
http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/uts/common/fs/zfs/arc.c#3351

Best Regards,
Edward.

2008/8/21 Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.com>:
> Edward O'Callaghan wrote:
>> yea, be careful with that Kris,
>> I would like to know exactly what tuning that intails ..
>> Best Regards,
>> Edward.
>>

> Right now its just the most basic tuning, I'm adding these to loader.conf
>
> vm.kmem_size="512M"
> vm.kmem_size_max="512M"
>

> I know there is more advanced tuning which can be done, however, I will
> be leaving that up to any specific admins to do so, since many of them
> will want to tune it different ways.
>
> What we have though is nice, if you want to get a FreeBSD / PC-BSD
> system setup with all ZFS partitions in about 15-20 minutes.
>

> --
>
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
> http://www.pcbsd.com

All Documents adhered to the ISO/IEC 26300 standard file format for
electronic office documents, such as spreadsheets, charts,
presentations and word processing documents from this email address.
The author does not take responsibility of the recipients inability to
read international standards and who use proprietary products such as
MS Office.
See: http://www.openoffice.org/
Edward O'Callaghan.
--