[PC-BSD Testing] ZFS Install comment.

Edward O'Callaghan victoredwardocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 13:25:25 PDT 2008

yea, be careful with that Kris,
I would like to know exactly what tuning that intails ..
Best Regards,
Edward.

2008/8/21 Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.com>:
> Bill Leeper wrote:
>> Thanks for the additional info. It is an interesting read. So far
>> without doing any tuning I have had no problems with ZFS. That being
>> said I have to also say that with the weekly release cycle on the
>> Alphas I may not be running long enough to encounter problems. When
>> the 7 release comes out I will decide then whether to stick with ZFS
>> or UFS+journaling. The machine I am testing on has no critical data on
>> it so even if I do run into problems all I have to do is reinstall. I
>> really only use it now because we are testing and I like to try new
>> things.   :-)
>>
>> On the next Alpa I may just do one hard drive with UFS and another
>> with ZFS. That way I can compare performance of the two. Anyway,
>> thanks for taking the time to post the additional info.
>>

>> On Aug 18, 2008, at 11:56 PM, Edward O'Callaghan wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Bill,
>>>
>>> No problem. I just hope you take my advice !
>>> After a short Google with 'ZFS FreeBSD' I found this, which I think is
>>> relevant here:
>>> http://kerneltrap.org/FreeBSD/ZFS_Stability
>>>
>>> That would be all,
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Edward O'Callaghan.
>>>

> I've gone ahead and implemented a warning popup when the user enables
> ZFS, about recommending 4GB+ of ram, 64 bit processor, etc.
>
> Bill, some of the tuning for ZFS is also being done when you install
> with it, which is why it even works at all :)
>

> --
>
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
> http://www.pcbsd.com

All Documents adhered to the ISO/IEC 26300 standard file format for
electronic office documents, such as spreadsheets, charts,
presentations and word processing documents from this email address.
The author does not take responsibility of the recipients inability to
read international standards and who use proprietary products such as
MS Office.
See: http://www.openoffice.org/
Edward O'Callaghan.
--