[PC-BSD Testing] ZFS Install comment.

Edward O'Callaghan victoredwardocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 19:45:38 PDT 2008

OK well, I *still* think at least disable if <1GB RAM.
else your get flooded with data corruptions and/or kernel panics as
ZFS's IO pipe will stave the kernel of its memory and render the
system unresponsive or in the worst case, just panic.

I can't stress this any more ! Although 64Bit is just a
recommendation. I feel >=1GB of RAM *should* be made a _requirement_ !

I hope I am being very clear on this warning,
Regards,
Edward.

2008/8/19 Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.com>:
> Edward O'Callaghan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't post much however I do still follow ;) .
>>
>> In regards to people having problems with ZFS.
>>
>> I think the PC-BSD install should do;
>>
>> * Check RAM >=1GB.
>> * check for 64Bit CPU.
>> else 'grey out' the use ZFS option in the Installer with a comment like;
>> 'RAM too low <1GB Found.'
>> 'CPU is not 64Bit.'
>> Or both of the above.
>>
>> Thanks for your time,
>> Edward O'Callaghan.
>> OpenSolaris developer and Blastwave maintainer.
>>

> Right now I have been able to use ZFS on my older Athlon (32bit) system
> with 2GB of ram just fine.
>
> Since ZFS is not enabled by default, unless the user chooses "enable
> ZFS" during bootup, I was planning on putting something in the README /
> Docs about this, and recommending that the system have at minimum 2GB of
> ram, and preferably a 64bit system. However, I don't want to disable it
> if somebody wants to try it out on a lesser system, since it does seem
> to work OK in some cases.
>

> --
>
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
> http://www.pcbsd.com

All Documents adhered to the ISO/IEC 26300 standard file format for
electronic office documents, such as spreadsheets, charts,
presentations and word processing documents from this email address.
The author does not take responsibility of the recipients inability to
read international standards and who use proprietary products such as
MS Office.
See: http://www.openoffice.org/
Edward O'Callaghan.
--