[PC-BSD Testing] ZFS Install comment.

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Aug 18 07:11:28 PDT 2008

Edward O'Callaghan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't post much however I do still follow ;) .
>
> In regards to people having problems with ZFS.
>
> I think the PC-BSD install should do;
>
> * Check RAM >=1GB.
> * check for 64Bit CPU.
> else 'grey out' the use ZFS option in the Installer with a comment like;
> 'RAM too low <1GB Found.'
> 'CPU is not 64Bit.'
> Or both of the above.
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Edward O'Callaghan.
> OpenSolaris developer and Blastwave maintainer.

Right now I have been able to use ZFS on my older Athlon (32bit) system
with 2GB of ram just fine.

Since ZFS is not enabled by default, unless the user chooses "enable
ZFS" during bootup, I was planning on putting something in the README /
Docs about this, and recommending that the system have at minimum 2GB of
ram, and preferably a 64bit system. However, I don't want to disable it
if somebody wants to try it out on a lesser system, since it does seem
to work OK in some cases.

http://www.pcbsd.com