[PC-BSD Testing] Laptop Works Better with UFS + Softupdates

milanisko k vetrisko at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 06:01:35 PDT 2008

Hello,

Reading your post, I have to complain a bit about running PC-Bsd on an older
laptop...

As far as the filesystem is concerned, the ZFS was causing much trouble on
my laptop (Fujitsu-Siemens E series Lifebook, P4 1.7GHz, 2GB DDR ram, ATA
60GB, Intel motherboard, integrated i855 graphics 1400x1050) - it used to
crash while installing the system (I was trying to install it three times).
So I have switched to UFS+Journaling and haven't observed the trouble any
more.

However, the graphics causes a lot of trouble - the performance is very
poor. Furthermore, the system used to crash while the _Intel_ driver was
used by the X11. I'm going to fiddle with the X11 default _i810_ driver
settings a bit now (CPU utilisation doesn't drop below 40% while "idle"
running just few opened windows with all "extras" disabled: news reader,
Opera, Konsole + top)...

On the other hand, the system was running for about 3 hours on a PC
utilising a Core2Duo Cpu, a Nvidia 6600 pro (128MB) graphis and 2GB of DDR2
Ram on a 1280x1024 resolution with every little desktop "extra" switched on
very smoothly - the Cpu utilisation has been low, too (up to 20% while
"idle", depending on the windows count), frame-rates of the Plasma between
30-60fps with multiple transparent windows running simultaneously. It looked
very nice, indeed.

I must say, the system looks really great on a "newer" hardware...

Regards,

milan