[PC-BSD Testing] Laptop Works Better with UFS + Softupdates

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 21:16:39 PDT 2008

Dear Kris --

This report concerns a PCBSD 7.0 Alpha 08082008 on a laptop computer
running the Intel Centrino chipset, P4 1.5 Ghz, and Intel 82855 built
in video.  I had previously reported that the laptop had repeated
freezes and reboots whenever I ran programs, especially Dolphin.  This
experience contrasted greatly with using the Alphas on a desktop which
was stable.  I am pleasantly surprised (after acting on your
announcement that you would revert to the previous UFS file system in
the next release) to report the entire laptop situation has improved
after reinstalling the same Alpha using UFS +Softupdates as the file
system instead of UFS +Journal.

I have been running about four hours and have not crashed Dolphin,
even though I have looked on other slices and some mega-sized
directories.  Both these functions were prone to crash Dolphin and
cause a freeze or reboot.  I've also surfed the web, searched Google
and Google images.  These activities were also prone to cause a freeze
or reboot under a the UFS +journal file system.  I've had up to six
active programs running without even a hiccup.

I am also pleased about performance, the ability to update ports and
source using system administrator, and to install various software
using ports.

I had only one freeze when I clicked on four mpg video files and
opened them simultaneously with Dragon.  I'm currently installing
Kaffeine to see if that cures the problem.

In summary, I am happy that changing only the file system has made a
huge improvement for the laptop and eliminated the critical problems I
was having.  Your instinct about the journaling file system was
insightful.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio