Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Aug 12 08:31:22 PDT 2008

Ian Robinson wrote:
> Follow-up on Laptop Crashing under PCBSD7-x86-08082008
>
> On August 11, 2008, part of Ian Robinson's report said:
>>   9. PCBSD7-x86-08082008 - Laptop Video Problems & System Crashing (Ian Robinson)>
>>
>> Message: 9
>>
>> 3.  If you start up but just let the computer run doing nothing, it
>> appears fine.  The screen savers work and the laptop goes to sleep
>> without crashing.  I've now had it up for twenty hours and it does not
>> crash as long as I do nothing with it.  I'll report further after I
>> try to do something with it.
>
> After 24 hours of "doing nothing," I invoked Terminal, which
> functioned OK.  I then invoked Konqueror Web Browser, which loaded
> PCBSD.org just fine.
>
> I opened a second instance of Konqueror and changed the URL to my home
> directory (///usr/home/IR) to use Konqueror as a file manager.  The
> system rebooted immediately.  I verified this behavior several more
> times, all with the same result that the system rebooted upon using
> Konqueror as a file manager.
>
> Ian Robinson
> Salem, Ohio

A complete reboot like that sounds more like a FreeBSD 7-Stable issue
than KDE. If KDE was crashing, it would just dump X back to the console,
not completely shut down like that.  I will go ahead and update the
source for this next Alpha, and hopefully this will be resolved this week :)

http://www.pcbsd.com