Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 08:02:05 PDT 2008

Follow-up on Laptop Crashing under PCBSD7-x86-08082008

On August 11, 2008, part of Ian Robinson's report said:

>   9. PCBSD7-x86-08082008 - Laptop Video Problems & System Crashing (Ian Robinson)>
>
> Message: 9
>
> 3.  If you start up but just let the computer run doing nothing, it
> appears fine.  The screen savers work and the laptop goes to sleep
> without crashing.  I've now had it up for twenty hours and it does not
> crash as long as I do nothing with it.  I'll report further after I
> try to do something with it.

After 24 hours of "doing nothing," I invoked Terminal, which
functioned OK.  I then invoked Konqueror Web Browser, which loaded
PCBSD.org just fine.

I opened a second instance of Konqueror and changed the URL to my home
directory (///usr/home/IR) to use Konqueror as a file manager.  The
system rebooted immediately.  I verified this behavior several more
times, all with the same result that the system rebooted upon using
Konqueror as a file manager.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio