[PC-BSD Testing] Latest Alpha 080808

John Stokes airy at netspace.net.au
Tue Aug 12 05:39:36 PDT 2008

With the latest Alpha I'm experiencing some of the same problems as
others are . I have tried installing with ZFS and UFS (with journalling)
and am getting disk errors as below when booting and running fsck.

pcbsd# fsck
** /dev/ad0s1a.journal (NO WRITE)

CANNOT READ BLK: 38011712
CONTINUE? [yn] y

THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 38011712, 38011713,
38011714, 38011715,
/dev/ad0s1a.journal: CANNOT FIGURE OUT FILE SYSTEM PARTITION
pcbsd#

I have tried this with both a 20Gb Samsung IDE drive & a Seagate 80Gb
drive - similar issues. I have
now installed using only UFS (vanilla version) and all appears well
(fsck works). This hasn't happened up until this Alpha :-(

The Intel driver appears to work well except for the thin "pink" band
along the left edge of the screen - this didn't happen with the
VESA driver (even when shutting down with the text script this appears???).

I still can only use "skip" at the X config to use the native resolution
of the monitor - the settings are not liked and now will only give
me 1024x768 as the highest resolution (grrr).

Maybe the screensaver can be set at a longer interval than 3 minutes

On a positive note the system seems much more stable with Dolphin not
crashing in the first minute or two of use though two bugs are
annoying:

When copying a file to another directory the file doesn't 'refresh' and
appear there , I have to move out of that directory and then back in
again to see it.
No dismounting of CD's etc is a bit of a pain.

Otherwise the Alpha is getting more stable  with each version, keep up
the good work Kris and Co.

John

Just tried to enable desktop effects - very very bad move (completely
lost my desktop) , only restored by mounting from another disk and
deleting the .kde4
directory completely (nice little toolbar appears next to the plasma
Desktop now - is this disabled in the current KDE4 incarnation Kris??)