[PC-BSD Testing] Aug 8 Alpha Wireless Network Scan Fails (Gabi Huiber)

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Aug 11 14:03:03 PDT 2008

James T. Nixon III wrote:
> I have also noticed that the WiFi scanner does not pull all networks in the
> area, seems to grab a few at random. It does however work when you  ifconfig
> xx list scan.  Also, it'd be nice if the tool gave you feedback of what it
> was doing, ie; Scanning available networks, Scanning complete.. etc
>

> -James

I've noticed this same problem here myself. However, I've also seen it
here from the command-line, when I run "ifconfig -v xxx up list scan",
even then it seems that ssid's appear / disappear for no apparent
reason. Can you confirm that on your laptop? If you run ifconfig several
times in a row, does the output change?

Right now the GUI is simply doing that, just reading from the output of
"ifconfig" to see whats available.

http://www.pcbsd.com