[PC-BSD Testing] partitioning

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Aug 11 13:59:04 PDT 2008

Gary B. Corell wrote:
> Kris:
>  I tried to use the custom partitioner yesterday to no avail. up till
> then my PCBSD7A partion had been 56GB and was shared with a 46GB FreeBSD
> 6.3 partition and an 40+GB XPwindoze. What I wanted to do was to further
> subdivide that 56GB PCBSD into 46GB and 10GB, the latter becoming my
> PCBSD7 testbed and the rest dedicated to PCBSD1.5.1. I'm sure hoping
> when the 7 is ready, it will upgrade that 1.5.1 niceley.
> Custom partition would not subdivide it at all. I finally resorted to
> diskpart to partition it.  Custom partition still would not see them. I
> went back and formated the two partitions with xp's format. Custom
> partition still wouldn't see them. I've made the Recovery Console a
> permanent part of my XP startup so I didnt boot XP up to look at the two
> new partitions. It wasn't till I booted of my 6.3 disk and began a
> custom install of 6.3 that I was finally able to make the two partitions
> available to be seen by PCBSD7 #30. I like 15.1 but BOY will I be glad
> when 7 reaches a stable state! i sure like it!
>  For anybody that might be interested, this is also a   SATA drive.
> --
>  Gary B. corell

Ahh, I think we are talking about different things right now. I have
*not* yet added any support for resizing or re-doing the primary
partitions (slices) on the fly. (Such as ad0s1, ad0s2, ad0s3). What I
have fixed / added is all the custom partition stuff (Such as ad0s1a,
ad0s1d, ad0s1e), which lets you add / create new mount points within
your install.

Right now PC-BSD requires either an entire disk, or an available
"primary" partition to install onto. After we get this release out, and
stabilized I will probably go back and add support for creating /
deleting partitions like you are describing. This time around I've had
my hands full by adding UFS, UFS+S, UFS+J, and ZFS, DVD, Network
Installs and not to mention converting everything to QT4/KDE4 which was
a chore in itself :)

http://www.pcbsd.com