[PC-BSD Testing] New Alpha 08-08-2008 available!

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Aug 11 08:57:47 PDT 2008

Brian wrote:
>  http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?webid=737917&AffixedCode=WW
>
> PC-BSD detects absolutely nothing sata on my system . I have four sata
> ports on my mainboard , three of which are occupied ( two hard drives
> and an internal burner ) . The hardware detection in the installer
> brings up /dev four times . The installer will not come up until I put
> the dvd into an external drive. Actually nothing will get detected
> unless I use external drives .
>
> !DSPAM:1,48a05bb019861634320422!

That is strange. I use pretty much all SATA here, without any problems
at all, maybe your motherboard uses some weird characters / strings in
its identification text...

Here's what I'll need to troubleshoot this:

Boot the install CD / DVD, and right-click to bring up xterm somewhere
on the desktop.

I'll need a listing of /dev, to see how your devices are setup.

Next, I'll need the output from "dmesg"

And lastly, I'll need you to run /usr/local/pcbsd/scripts/PCBSD.FindDisk.sh

Here's the commands to do all of this, and bring up your network card,
so you can send the output files:

# ifconfig
  (Locate your NIC)
# dhclient <nic>
   (Bring up the networking)
# ls /dev/ > /tmp/devout
# dmesg >/tmp/dmesgout
# /usr/local/pcbsd/scripts/PCBSD.FindDisk.sh
    (Report any errors running this)

Now you can use ftp or sftp and send the files to any other system for
email to us.

And last, but not least, check /tmp, and see if we have any "ad* or da*"
files, such as "ad0" or "da0", which are text config files. Please send
those along also, and I should be able to figure out whats going on.

Thanks!

http://www.pcbsd.com