[PC-BSD Testing] KDE4 improvements for Nvidia Quadro FX 570M

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Aug 5 11:47:42 PDT 2008

tie wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I installed the latest PCBSD 7 alpha on my lenovo T61p laptop to play
> around a bit. I had installed the latest Kubuntu (also with kde 4.1) the
> other day, and I was kinda disappointed with the graphic performance I
> got with the PCBSD installation. The GUI was sluggish and unresponsive
> even though the most appropriate Nvidia driver was loaded (173.x.x that
> came with the PCBSD installation).
>
> So, I Googled around a bit, and got to this article:
> http://techbase.kde.org/User:Lemma/KDE4-NVIDIA
>
> So, I ran the line quoted there:
> nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=2 -a GlyphCache=1
>
> This resulted in a big improvement of the GUI speed - the windows and
> menus got snappier, and with Desktop effects turned off, the speed got
> pretty close to the responsiveness of the Win XP installed on the same
> machine :)
>
> I ended up adding the quoted line to a script, and including the script
> in the KDE Autorun list to have the settings applied at startup.
>
> So, you should definitely consider automatically setting these options,
> at least for some Nvidia GPUs, as this results in a far better experience.

I'm hearing word that Nvidia has a new 177.xx driver which, when it's
released, will automatically fix the issues with opengl / KDE4
responsiveness. Once this driver hits, I'll be sure to throw it into the
base with the others right away. In the meantime, that fix you posted is
great, It seems to help on my system as well. Hopefully we won't have to
use it too much longer though.

> On a side note, it would be very handy to have some utility to benchmark
> the performance of the GUI. In this way different sets of settings could
> be (automatically) compared objectively, and users can get most out of
> their environments.
>
> Regards,
> tie

One thing which may help is enabling the FPS effect:

system settings -> desktop -> desktop Effects -> all effects -> Show FPS

http://www.pcbsd.com