[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 7 Alpha 02082008

Navy Nitram navyn5 at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 4 12:19:20 PDT 2008

Hello,

I downloaded and burned the DVD ISO and installed without any
apparent problems. I quickly found that the nv Video driver for X was
inadequate with my nVidia 7600GT (the semi-transparent Desktop
window was fully transparent except for the border and the object
icons only visible when the mouse cursor ran over them), but the
nVidia 173xxx driver works just fine.

For a week or so before I had been trying the PCBSD 1.6 Alpha and I
had some issues with sound using my M-Audio Revolution 5.1sound
card. The initial problem with detecting the sound card after the kernel
has been started is gone but there is a wrong internal reference and
the system complains that it cannot load the appropriate sound
module: "snd_envy24h file or directory does not exist" the name
should be "snd_envy24ht". In the version 1.6 Alpha I could work
around this by adding the line "snd_envy24ht_load="YES" " in
loader.conf but this does not work with 7 alpha.

Another observed oddity is that on first boot, the taskbar widgets
(network status, scheduler and the check mark) besides the digital
clock are present, but they go away with the second boot However a
white underline is present where they should appear, using the default
oxygen theme. The underline starts small and stretches as the widget
applications are probably loaded, but the icons never appear and
running the cursor where they should be does not do anything.

On the plus side, the screen data is much better handled in 7 Alpha
when shutting down or restarting the system. 1.6 Alpha displayed a lot
of gray checkerboard and or bits of previously viewed images in the
background.

Both versions exhibit the same behaviour where .PBI files are
concerned: after double-clicking a downloaded .PBI file, I am prompted
for the root password and then told "Command
'/home/yvan/.PBItmp/.pbistart' not found". Interestingly enough if I use
terminal session in su mode at that point in time, I can see the .PBItmp
directory and the .bpistart within. I cannot install a .PBI file if I try to
open it immediately when downloading it either.

I hope someone may have run into some this before and may already
have answers or workarounds. Thank you.