[PC-BSD Testing] USB PCBSD7 image

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Aug 4 08:05:41 PDT 2008

Bill Leeper wrote:
> On Aug 4, 2008, at 5:19 AM, Simeon Nifos wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>> I would like to help with testing e.t.c. but I cannot boot from the
>> USB image.  Could you please give me some piece of advice?
>>
>> I formated my 1GB USB-stick, as FAT32. Before doing that I erased the
>> grub loader and everything else there by issuing the following
>> command:
>>
>> # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb
>>
>> then I burned the image by:
>>
>> # dd if=/pathToThePCBSD-7-image.img of=/dev/sdb1
>>
>> When I boot I get: no filesystem
>>
>> Any ideas?
>

> According to what Kris wrote a few days back that last part should be
> of=/dev/da0 bs=1m and that has worked for me. Have you tried that?
>

> 
> Computers can be fun again
>                  format C:\
>    Alternatives are out there
> 

> !DSPAM:1,489719b819691198615917!

First make sure that you are using the boot-only usb.img file. The full
one was corrupted during upload and had to be removed:

ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/alpha-isos/i386/PCBSD7-x86-08022008-USB-bootonly.img

Next, use DD as you've shown, make sure you dd the image to the root
partition of the USB stick though, you should be overwriting everything
on the stick since our image has its own filesystem data in it.

Lastly, you need to check your BIOS, and make certain it it set to boot
from USB first, on my system here, each time I have to go into the BIOS
and move the USB priority up to force it to boot from USB and not my
regular drive.

http://www.pcbsd.com