[PC-BSD Testing] KDE4 improvements for Nvidia Quadro FX 570M

tie pcbsd at ankh.morp.org
Sun Aug 3 16:46:20 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I installed the latest PCBSD 7 alpha on my lenovo T61p laptop to play
around a bit. I had installed the latest Kubuntu (also with kde 4.1) the
other day, and I was kinda disappointed with the graphic performance I
got with the PCBSD installation. The GUI was sluggish and unresponsive
even though the most appropriate Nvidia driver was loaded (173.x.x that
came with the PCBSD installation).

So, I Googled around a bit, and got to this article:
http://techbase.kde.org/User:Lemma/KDE4-NVIDIA

So, I ran the line quoted there:
nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=2 -a GlyphCache=1

This resulted in a big improvement of the GUI speed - the windows and
menus got snappier, and with Desktop effects turned off, the speed got
pretty close to the responsiveness of the Win XP installed on the same
machine :)

I ended up adding the quoted line to a script, and including the script
in the KDE Autorun list to have the settings applied at startup.

So, you should definitely consider automatically setting these options,
at least for some Nvidia GPUs, as this results in a far better experience.

On a side note, it would be very handy to have some utility to benchmark
the performance of the GUI. In this way different sets of settings could
be (automatically) compared objectively, and users can get most out of
their environments.

Regards,
tie