Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 21:54:45 PDT 2008

This is a follow-up to the earlier message regarding PCBSD 1.5.1
Installation Hangs after startx, spontaneous reboots.  The purpose of this
post is to report that the 1.5.1 pbi upgrade method was also unsuccessful on
this laptop.

In my previous post, I had reported that version 1.5 installed fine, but a
"fresh install" of version 1.5.1 had hung during installation at startx and
spontaneously rebooted.  To try and workaround this problem and get to
version 1.5.1, I reinstalled PCBSD 1.5 to the laptop, confirmed it was
working fine.  It did.  No problems.  However, after that I downloaded the
system update to 1.5.1 and its installation failed.

The 1.5.1 upgrade started fine and went through the "removing packages"
initial portion.  However, it began to hang in an endless loop after about
15 minutes.  The messages on the screen said:

#starting cron
#/libexec/ld-elf.so.1:  Shared object "libX11.so.6" not found, required by
"PBReg"
local package initialization:. /etc/rc.d/sysctl: WARNING: sysctl
hw.snd.pcm0.vchans does not exist
sysctl hw.snd.maxautovchans does not exist
<date/time> pcbsd init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv4,
sleeping 30 secs.
<date/time> pcbsd init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv4,
sleeping 30 secs.
<date/time> pcbsd last message repeated 4 times
<date/time> pcbsd last message repeated 13 times

The last four commands cycled again and again, but I shut down the computer
after an hour.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio