Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 13:57:11 PDT 2008

PCBSD 1.5.1 Installation Hangs after startx, spontaneous reboots

Testing PCBSD fresh install on Acer Laptop,  Travelmate 4001LCi, P4 "M" @
1.5Ghz,  2048 Mb Ram, Intel 855 chipset & Intel videochip.  Acer BIOS is
version 3A10.

Although PCBSD 1.4, 1.4.1 and 1.5 have all been successful in making fresh
installations to this computer, the recent 1.5.1 release is hanging after
startx the rebooting.  I get to the grey crosshatched x screen and the mouse
moves in response to mouse or touchpad.  After 15 seconds the computer
spontaneously reboots.

Ctrl-Alt-F1 to console shows the last entries are:

Detecting X Setup
Autoconfiguring X Server done
g_vfs done: <can't read rest because it goes by too fast>

* * *
segment fault

* * *
pid 982

After that, it reboots

It makes no difference whether I start in the default mode, the no-ACPI
mode, or the VESA mode.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio