[PC-BSD Testing] Wed iso

Bill Leeper protagonist at charter.net
Sat Sep 22 12:05:05 PDT 2007

Kris Moore wrote:
> Bill Leeper wrote:
>> As reported earlier I installed the iso on a friends system. I got the
>> wireless networking going on a Linksys WUSB-54G, Rev 4 I believe. The
>> only problem it does not reconnect automatically upon booting. I have to
>> right click the tray icon and select restart networking every time.
>> Which means entering the root PW every time.
>>
>> !DSPAM:1,46f34dbe681491919223316!
>>

> Bill,
>
> I did some looking into this here. Is the connection / association
> actually failing, or the routing? I.E. does the connection appear to be
> up, but you can't connect to the net?
>
> I found this here with my laptop here also, and it was a problem with
> the built-in ethernet card getting setup as the default route, and when
> I unplugged it FreeBSD wasn't smart enough to "roll-over" to the next
> interface. (iwi0 in this case) I had to restart network as well, then it
> works fine.
>
> If all else fails, you should be able to just put a small call in
> /etc/rc.local to /etc/rc.d/netif restart to have it reload networking at
> each boot.

Sorry, I got busy and forgot to answer you. The system has a wired LAN
card and I loaned him my wireless USB device. I disabled the wired
network card. When I boot up the system no network connection is
established. If I start the Network Manager both devices appear with the
red circle and bar icon. It knows they are there. All I have to do is
restart the network and it automatically connects, after I enter the PW
of course. I will try your suggestion about editing the config file next
chance I get. If I can get this and the printer going we may have a
convert to PC-BSD. He is fed up with Windows.   :-)

Bill