[PC-BSD Testing] Intel PRO 2200 Wi-fi card not working -- Found solution

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 20:35:07 PDT 2007

I am writing as a follow-up to my post earlier today about my Intel Pro 2200
wireless network card not working.  I also noticed that others have reported
wi-fi problems through messages in Volume 9, Issue 18, Messages # 7 and #9.
I am sure that many people will have problems getting the Intel Pro 2200
("iwi") wifi card to work.

In my case (Acer Travelmate 4001), the critical piece of information was
that the wifi radio was OFF.  Neither ifconfig, sysctl, or other means of
turning the switch on or off were not working.

In researching the Source Forge FAQ for the Intel 2200, the FAQ referenced
an RF Switch.  So I tracked down RF Switch further on Source Forge to
another page and a laptop matrix.  I found out that Linux had a driver for
Acer called the "Acer Hot Key Driver", also known as "acerhk".  I looked in
ports and found there is nothing for either rf switches or for acerhk
modules.

I googled around on that and found several web pages referencing that owners
of laptops with the Intel 2200 had found relief by one of two ways:

(1) pressing in on the "wifi" button on the face edge of the Acer (did not
work for me) or

(2) booting Windows in order to activate the wireless card (which did work
for me).

I found several web pages with those "solutions", but the largest collection
of ideas was at http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-191492.html
(sorry to have to use the "U" word).

After booting to Windows and then rebooting PCBSD, the wi-fi icon in the
panel quickly changed from a red "X" to green and popped up with a message
that it was "associated".  I double-clicked to load the Network Manager.
Network Manager functioned perfectly now.  I scanned the ssid's that were
broadcasting, clicked on mine, put in my WEP code, and I was connected. Go
figure.

Hope this helps lead to a real solution.

P.S.  My previous post indicates that I added several lines to my
/boot/loader.conf and rc.conf.  I don't know if I still  need them, so I'll
have to experiment.  But if they are needed, then wi-fi configuration will
not be automatic "out of the box" unless some script can be automated to run
when the iwi module is selected.

Sincerely,

Ian Robinson