[PC-BSD Testing] pass device not in kernel

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Thu Sep 13 19:29:30 PDT 2007

Tim Aslat wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Hopefully this is the right place to post this, if not I apologise
>
> I'm currently running the 1.4beta from a couple of weeks back (not sure
> of the exact date) and when I came to plugin my PDA which is a win-ce
> device, it errors saying that pass device is not in kernel.
>
> Now, as far as I can tell, this device is part of the GENERIC FreeBSD
> kernel, so is there any particular reason that it was removed for
> PC-BSD, or was it an oversight?
>
> I'm not averse to rebuilding my own kernel, which I'm in the process of
> doing now, but it is a pain for the uninitiated who don't have the
> experience to rebuild world + kernel, who are using PC-BSD becasue it's
> more user-friendly, which to my way of thinking PC-BSD is targeted at.
>
> Incidentally, keep up the good work, I'm impressed with how easy it was
> to set up, and the relatively few problems I've had with it.
>
> The problems I have had are listed below and I haven't seen them listed
> on the forums or in the archives for the list so here goes.
>
> - the online update manager doesn't seem to be able to update from the
> beta to the RC, althought with my limited understanding, this may be by
> design.
> - some of the PBI packages install incorrectly and I have to fix up the
> symlinks in /usr/local/bin manually
>
> I hope this is of some help.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tim

Tim,

I've just checked the kernel config, and both the UP and SMP kernels do
have the "pass" device compiled in:

http://trac.pcbsd.org/browser/pcbsd/trunk/system-overlay/PCBSD/conf/PCBSD.i386
http://trac.pcbsd.org/browser/pcbsd/trunk/system-overlay/PCBSD/conf/PCBSD-SMP.i386

I'm not sure why its not working in your case though. Maybe something
else in the kernel config is conflicting with it?

Also, we normally don't issue online updates for beta / RC releases,
only for the "offical" releases, like 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, etc. Once 1.4 is
available, we'll start issuing patches / updates for it, and a large one
for users upgrading from 1.3.x as well.

We're trying to clean out some of the bad / broken PBI's also, which
ones did you run into the problems on? We'll make sure they get removed
from pbidir, and new ones created here soon.

http://www.pcbsd.com