[PC-BSD Testing] pass device not in kernel

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Thu Sep 13 19:29:30 PDT 2007

Tim Aslat wrote:
> Hi All,
> Hopefully this is the right place to post this, if not I apologise
> I'm currently running the 1.4beta from a couple of weeks back (not sure
> of the exact date) and when I came to plugin my PDA which is a win-ce
> device, it errors saying that pass device is not in kernel.
> Now, as far as I can tell, this device is part of the GENERIC FreeBSD
> kernel, so is there any particular reason that it was removed for
> PC-BSD, or was it an oversight?
> I'm not averse to rebuilding my own kernel, which I'm in the process of
> doing now, but it is a pain for the uninitiated who don't have the
> experience to rebuild world + kernel, who are using PC-BSD becasue it's
> more user-friendly, which to my way of thinking PC-BSD is targeted at.
> Incidentally, keep up the good work, I'm impressed with how easy it was
> to set up, and the relatively few problems I've had with it.
> The problems I have had are listed below and I haven't seen them listed
> on the forums or in the archives for the list so here goes.
> - the online update manager doesn't seem to be able to update from the
> beta to the RC, althought with my limited understanding, this may be by
> design.
> - some of the PBI packages install incorrectly and I have to fix up the
> symlinks in /usr/local/bin manually
> I hope this is of some help.
> Cheers
> Tim

I've just checked the kernel config, and both the UP and SMP kernels do
have the "pass" device compiled in:

I'm not sure why its not working in your case though. Maybe something
else in the kernel config is conflicting with it?

Also, we normally don't issue online updates for beta / RC releases,
only for the "offical" releases, like 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, etc. Once 1.4 is
available, we'll start issuing patches / updates for it, and a large one
for users upgrading from 1.3.x as well.

We're trying to clean out some of the bad / broken PBI's also, which
ones did you run into the problems on? We'll make sure they get removed
from pbidir, and new ones created here soon.