[PC-BSD Testing] pass device not in kernel

Tim Aslat tim at spyderweb.com.au
Thu Sep 13 17:34:31 PDT 2007

Hi All,

Hopefully this is the right place to post this, if not I apologise

I'm currently running the 1.4beta from a couple of weeks back (not sure
of the exact date) and when I came to plugin my PDA which is a win-ce
device, it errors saying that pass device is not in kernel.

Now, as far as I can tell, this device is part of the GENERIC FreeBSD
kernel, so is there any particular reason that it was removed for
PC-BSD, or was it an oversight?

I'm not averse to rebuilding my own kernel, which I'm in the process of
doing now, but it is a pain for the uninitiated who don't have the
experience to rebuild world + kernel, who are using PC-BSD becasue it's
more user-friendly, which to my way of thinking PC-BSD is targeted at.

Incidentally, keep up the good work, I'm impressed with how easy it was
to set up, and the relatively few problems I've had with it.

The problems I have had are listed below and I haven't seen them listed
on the forums or in the archives for the list so here goes.

- the online update manager doesn't seem to be able to update from the
beta to the RC, althought with my limited understanding, this may be by
design.
- some of the PBI packages install incorrectly and I have to fix up the
symlinks in /usr/local/bin manually

I hope this is of some help.

Cheers

Tim