[PC-BSD Testing] Sept 11 snapshot - Network manager bobbles wifi config

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Thu Sep 13 10:17:05 PDT 2007

Rod Clark wrote:
> In a fresh install of today's (Sept 11) snapshot, there are
> still some problems with the graphical network manager's wifi
> config behavior.
>
> 1) The GUI network manager, unlike in some earlier versions,
> does accept mnemonic ASCII key strings, which is good. But it
> writes back to rc.conf an ASCII WEP keystring preceded by a 0x
> hex string identifier: 0xthiskeystring. No carrier ensues on
> reboot and troubleshooting is required.

Humm, I've running it on several different systems here, and not having
issues with this. I just put in the WEP key, and it works. Many others
are having it work just fine also. If I remove the 0x it doesn't work :(

> 2) It doesn't differentiate between ssid and bssid. When it
> first read the rc.conf that I'd initially edited with nano, the
> tray icon showed a live connection to the net, I could browse
> with Konqueror, and we were off and running. It displayed the
> access point's name as the bssid value in rc.conf. But when it
> wrote its config back to rc.conf, it wrote ssid
> 00:0a:55:76:18:9a, not distinguishing between bssid and ssid,
> thus causing no carrier on reboot. (I was using bssid because of
> possibly unjustified paranoia about the handling of special
> characters in the ssid strings.)

Humm, I'll have to add support to the WiFi tool for using bssid also
then. Right now the interface is frozen for 1.4, but I'm putting this
into our list to add as an update.

> Video card setup suggestions:
>
> 1) It would be nice to have 1280x960 back. This resolution was
> in the Sept 7 (if I recall correctly) snapshot and worked well,
> at least with my FX5200. Having 1:1 aspect ratio pixels helps
> when editing graphics, photos and such. It prevents having to
> compress the width of the visible screen by about an inch on a
> 19" monitor, to view everything 1:1 square.

Added the 1280x960 resolution to the list, you should be able to test
with it this weekend on RC2.

> 2) It would also be nice to have 800x600. Yes, I know someone
> declared 1024 to be the minimum, but consider this: My local
> King County Library branch has all 120 of its public-use PCs set
> to a geezer-friendly 800x600, because quite a few of the patrons
> who use them are members of the bifocal set. Taking all 43
> branches into account, thousands of these monitors are set at
> 800x600 because a significant minority of the 1,000,000+ library
> cardholders have poorer vision than the average KDE developer.
> And now because of KCLS I've got to adjust a site to look and
> work a little better in 800x600, and I can't do that easily or
> very well in PC-BSD.

I've also added 800x600 to the list of resolutions you can select in the
XGUI tool. The installer will still require 1024x768 for the initial
setup, but at least now you can downgrade to a smaller res for system
usage :)

http://www.pcbsd.com