[PC-BSD Testing] 11th September ISO

Renato Flórido renatoflorido at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 17:32:23 PDT 2007

Here are my findings on the 11th September ISO:

Note that I am installing using Portuguese (pt) language and keyboard
settings and time zone

Installer:

*      During the boot of the installer CD, the system hangs if my wife’s
Ipod Nano is connected. The solution appears to be disconnecting the device.
The boot process resumes when I do that. It’s rather annoying though

*      When I reach the graphical mode, the screen is slightly offset up and
to the left. The graphical installer window is also up and to the left. I am
using a NVIDIA 8800GTS card here for the record.

*      On the first graphical installer section (Language and time zone
section) the “Useful tips” box appears in English despite being translated
correctly to Portuguese (pt) on Pootle.

*      On the “Installation phase” box, the text “Install or update” appears
cut off in Portuguese (pt). Maybe we could use two lines for that section?

*      On the “user accounts” section of the graphical installer, the filed
“username” is cut off in Portuguese (pt).

*      On the “Advanced Disk Configuration” section the “Useful tips” box
appears in English despite being translated correctly to Portuguese (pt) on
Pootle.

First Boot:

*      Again, when I reach the graphical mode, the screen is slightly offset
up and to the left. The resolution settings window is also up and to the
left.

*      As the xorg.conf file is being generated, the mouse cursor still
appears on the screen.

OS:

*      In the main menu, some menu entries are not translated to Portuguese
(pt) as they should:

                                    /Configuration/System administration/KDM
theme manager

                                    /Configuration/System
administration/Services manager

                                    /Configuration/System
administration/System manager

                                    /Configuration/Desktop/Video card and
monitor setup

                                    /Configuration/Appearance and themes/GTK
styles and fonts

                                    /Configuration/Software and updates/Add
/remove software

                                    /Configuration/Software and
updates/Online update Manager

                                    /Configuration/Software and updates/PBI
update Manager

*      The “System Manager” appears to have only some of the translation
stings loaded. Some areas are still left in English.

*      How can one disable Compiz Fusion after having selected it to auto
start? I can’t see how

*      In the “System Manager”, in the “Misc” section, the “Show splash
screen image on boot” is defaulted to English when it should be defaulted to
Portuguese (pt).

*      The “Win” keys on the keyboard are not working. I selected the
Portuguese (pt) keyboard layout on the installer and I am using a standard,
Portuguese layout 105 key keyboard

*      Using Konqueror, when I try to download a PBI the browser opens the
file automatically instead of asking where to save the file.

*      While trying to stop hald in the “services manager”, it fails to do
so. I can stop the auto start. Is this right?

Hope this gets fixed before release. Maybe a RC2 version should be made
before release
 I still see some things needing fixes. Better a bit late
than sorry. (That would be called “Learning from nearly all of our previous
releases”)

Greetings,

Renato