[PC-BSD Testing] Installer problem with Japanese user

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Sun Sep 2 16:24:35 PDT 2007

Yamashiro, Jun wrote:
> Hello lists,
> I translate PC-BSD messages into Japanese.
>
> I found some problems for Japanese user at
> PC-BSD 1.4RC and older 1.4 snapshot.
>
> * Installer cannot set to Japanese keyboard layout
>  In installer, if you select keyboard layout to "jp(Japan)",
> XkbModel in /etc/X11/xorg.conf should be set to "jp106"
> for Japanese keyboard.  But, XkbModel set to "pc105".
>
> And, KDE's keyboard layout set to "Generic 104-key PC".
> It should be set to "Japanese 106-key".
>

> * Missing Japanese TrueType font.
>  Current version's PC-BSD have Chinese TrueType fonts.  It can display
> Japanese text.  But, that quolity of Japanese text isn't good.
> Please install ports/japanese/vlgothic to install disc and HDD
> same as PC-BSD 1.3.
>

> * Date display in PC-BSD's KDM theme is NOT user-friendly for east asian people.
>  In east asia(Japan/China/Korea/etc.), date format is
> (Month Day Day_of_the_week hh:mm).  But, KDM theme is fixed for
> european-style date format(Day_of_the_week Day Month hh:mm).
>
> I've only one negative solution: remove date display from KDM theme.
>
> regards,

Thanks for the heads up! I'm working on adding the vlgothic fonts now, I
 should have them done for Wednesdays ISO, since Monday is a holiday
here. I've also added "jp106" as the keyboard model now when you select
that layout in the installer.

I may also be able to come up with a fix for the KDM theme this week,
I'll take a look into this :)

Also

http://www.pcbsd.com