[PC-BSD Testing] Problems of the snapshot version

Charles A. Landemaine charles at pcbsd.org
Wed May 2 19:08:41 PDT 2007

Now that our auto-build server is up and running, I think it's a good
opportunity to list all problems of the snapshot build. I'm testing the
monday build.

1) The initial text-based menu is from old times. I think we should change
it, make it nicer, etc...
2) The title bar of the initial text-based menu reads "PC-BSD 1.4 Beta"
but it's not a beta version
3) The background paper of the system installer is a black and white
pattern. It should be artwork (ie: the wall paper)
4) The left columns that list the different steps reads "1.3" instead of
maybe 1.4a or something
5) After being reported several months ago, the label text is still cut
off if you choose a different language from English. People who are not
used to operating systems may not be able to install PC-BSD is they choose
a foreign language. This is a serious problem that hasn't been addressed
so far.
6) While typing the password confirmation, you get a red alert saying the
passwords don't match. This doesn't look professional. This bug was
reported before 1.3 also.
7) The tips under the NIC config advanced screen are not translated
(although they were)
8) When there are alerts, for instance when it asks for CD2, the title bar
is utterly ugly
9) After installing PC-BSD, icons of the Start menu are jagged
10) There is no icon on the desktop. I would expect at least a Konqueror
shortcut, a Trash can, a "My computer" and a "My documents" icon.
11) Personal taste, I prefered the 1.3 look and feel (title bars and task
bar)
12) When I double-click a PBI on a shared directory, I get a prompt that
asks if I want to save the file or open it with runpbi.sh. First, it
shouldn't ask if I want to save it because it's already saved. Second, it
should name the tool that is going to be run instead of the name of its
file (ie: PBI Launcher instead of runpbi.sh)
13) In my home directory, the "Images" folder doesn't have an image icon,
it's a sort of default icon instead
14) If I apply a photo as wallpaper, the title bar of open windows isn't
transparent anymore (it's blue)
15) The annoying system sounds are back
16) There's no icon for "K Menu > Games > Games for Kids"
17) I selected the "French" keyboard during system installation but after
rebooting, I have a QWERTY keyboard
18) I typed the two DNS servers during system installation but after
rebooting PC-BSD, in the Network Configuration tool, the 1st DNS listed is
unknown to me (it's a different one).
19) PC-BSD doesn't shut down (ACPI issue) while Linux shuts down my
computer properly
20) I don't have read-write access on my NTFS partition

--
Charles A. Landemaine.
http://www.pcbsd.org